Most of German universities have their programmes offered in German languages. However, there are also several international programmes offered only in English or in a combination of German and other languages. If you plan to study in an English study program usually you will not have to present any proficiency in German to enter the university. If you want to study in a German study program, you’ll have to pass a German language exam before starting your studies. Please notice, that this does not mean any German language exam. You’ll need to pass one of the language exams, that are accepted by German universities. If you need to prove your German language proficiency, then the accepted forms are:
- Test of German as a Foreign Language (TestDaF),
- Goethe Institut German Language Diploma (GDS),
- German Language Diploma of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs, Level II (DSD)
Substitute accepted forms to proof the German language proficiency are:
- Abitur of German language programme,
- The Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Major German Language Certificate, or
- Former certificates of Goethe Institute
- Minor or Major German Language Certificate
- Central Advanced Language Test
- German Language Diploma (Level 11), issued by the German Standing Conference of Ministers of Education and Culture
Proof of English proficiency
While if you have to prove the English language proficiency, the followings are the accepted forms:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) Test Results – The accepted results are: PbT (paper-based test) 550 Points, CbT (computer-based test) 213 Points and IbT (internet-based test) 79-80 Points.
- IELTS (The International English Language Testing System) Test Results – this is another accepted form of proving the English Language proficiency, where the required points by German universities are 5 – 6.5 Score.
- Other forms – if you want to prove your English language proficiency in other forms, the accepted level according to the European Language Passport must be B1/B2 –intermediate.